The Heat or Eat Decision

22nd February 2023
Friends Talking Over Coffee

According to recent research, two in five of us are having to choose between heating our homes and eating.

A choice that no one should have to make but many more will in the months to come, with food and fuel prices due to increase again.


Here are just some of our suggestions, to help make your decision a little easier:


Find out what’s going on in your area:

Our Local Authorities are offering support with the Cost of Living. Whether that’s help with bills, energy saving tips, a place to keep warm, or health and wellbeing support. Visit your Council’s website to see what help is available to you.

Cost of living support | Blackburn with Darwen Borough CouncilBlackpool Council | Cost of living help and advice
Help with Cost of Living - of Living Support - Chorley Council
Warm Welcomes in Hyndburn ( of living - Lancaster City Council
Cost of living support - Lancashire County CouncilCommunity Support | Pendle Borough Council
Help in Preston - Help in PrestonHousehold Support Fund – Ribble Valley Borough Council
Help with the cost of Living crisis | Rossendale Borough CouncilSouth Ribble Together - South Ribble Borough Council
Cost of Living Support Hub - West Lancashire Borough CouncilCost of living support – Wyre Council


Draught-proof your home

Draught-proofing can really make a difference to warming your home. There are many ways to stop unwanted draughts creeping through your doors, windows, chimneys and floors. From draught excluders to adhesive tape, most options are easy to install yourself with little cost and could save you up to £60 a year.


Contact Cosy Homes in Lancashire

If your home is without Gas Central Heating, you could be entitled to a new heating system with the Home Upgrade Grant (HUG)

We could also help with insulating your home, replacing single glazed windows, wooden external doors, or broken boilers. Complete the application form online or contact us by phone, email or on Facebook. We are happy to help!

Let's get started...

Check your eligibility:

Please be aware that most of our funding must meet the guidelines set as by the UK Government. 

For your information please read the Government Privacy Notice and the CHiL Privacy Notice which outlines how your data will be used and stored.

  • I / We live in Lancashire.
  • I / We own the house, or I have my Landlords' permission to do any work
  • I / We qualify as household income is less than £36,000 or I/we are in receipt of a Means Tested Benefit
  • If your home has no mains gas central heating you could be eligible for a Home Upgrade Grant (HUG). You can qualify automatically for a HUG if you live in an eligible Post Code area and your house has an EPC of D, E, F or G.

Apply now

Who do you pay your council tax to?

Helpful information for cosier homes

Help and advice to save money on your energy and bills

Cyril the Squirrel, Cosy Homes mascot
Gradient banner